Frequently Asked Questions from Ferry Online
Frequently Asked Questions
FAQs - Questions
- How can I Amend or Cancel a booking I have already made?
You can amend or cancel your ferry booking but this will be subject to a charge of £25 providing there are no other fees applicable from the ferry operator.
To amend or cancel bookings, please phone +44 (0)844 571 5148 (office hours: 09:00-17:30, Monday - Friday, excluding Bank Holidays). Please note there will be a charge for amendments and few operators offer a refund on prebooked tickets - see their terms & conditions.
- I am trying to get a quote for sailing out with 2 people and returning with just 1 person. Is this possible?
Due to the limitations in the ferry booking systems this cannot be done online but we can process this booking via our call centre on +44 (0)844 571 5148 as one booking. You can also do this booking online as 2 separate bookings. In this case, for example:
- First booking for 1 person return
- Second booking for 1 person single
- How do I know which ferry company I am booking with?
You will see the ferry operator's logo when choosing your booking. Once you have made your booking you will receive your on-screen and email booking confirmation. This includes ferry operating company, port address, check-in time and other essential information. Also, if you look at the terms and conditions for your quotation/booking you will see the operators you have chosen for your routes.
- I will be travelling in a hire car. Can I book through the Internet as I won't know what make or the registration number of the car until I collect it?
Yes you can - just enter "Rental" in the Vehicle Registration fields and expected size of car e.g. small, regular, mpv etc. in the Make/Model fields.
- Are bookings transferable to another vehicle?
Yes providing the dimensions of the vehicle are the same as the original. You will need to contact us to amend your booking. There will be an amendment charge for this.
- I am making bookings for different ferry crossings but am being told 'Payment in conflicting currencies'. What does this mean and how can I book?
This message means that you have selected routes that must be paid for in different currencies. Therefore you must do a separate quote for each route to get a price.
E.g. Dover - Boulogne (GBP) and Ancona - Patras (EUR) must be done as 2 separate single bookings.
- Is my credit card number secure when I make a booking?
Yes, all online bookings are handled via a secure server which encrypts all your details into a format that cannot be read by third parties. This website uses Thawte SSL encryption technology - for more information please click here. We also insist that all payments are made using the latest 3D Secure verification. For more information see Verified by Visa or Secure by Mastercard.
- When I am asked how many passengers are in the car do I enter 3 + driver or 4 passengers?
The number of passengers is the total number of people travelling including the driver. Therefore in this example it is 4 passengers.
- Do I need a passport?
For all International ferry crossings every passenger must have their passport with them to get onboard the ferry. We advise all British Nationals to have no less than 6 months left to expire. For passengers travelling on any Domestic ferry crossing (for example within the UK) a form of photo ID is accepted if a passport is not available. For British and all other Nationals we recommend that you find out whether you need a visa to visit a particular country, you should contact the UK consulate or embassy of the country in question. You can obtain consulate and embassy telephone numbers from Directory Enquiries.
- Can I take a pet with me on the ferry?
Not all ferry operators have the facility to take pets (cats & dogs), therefore you will need to contact us on +44 (0)844 571 5148 before booking to confirm that they are able to take your pet. We can then add them to your booking afterwards (approximately £15 per pet, per leg depending on route and operator).
If bringing a pet into the UK, the pet will have to be part of the Pets Passport Scheme. For more information please visit the official DEFRA website.
Depending on the ferry operator and route, your pet may have to remain in the car for the duration of the crossing, with no passenger access.
- Do you send me any tickets after booking?
You will receive an on screen booking reference number which will also be sent to you by email. When you arrive at the port of departure you should present the booking reference number together with a passport/photo ID. The port staff will access all your booking information and issue your party with the relevant boarding passes.
- I did not receive any confirmation email?
The main reason for this may be because you typed your email address incorrectly. Before contacting us please also check your junk and spam folders in case the email was diverted there. Otherwise please contact us so we can resend your confirmation.
- What do I do if my payment declines?
Please re-submit your details and try again. If the problem persists please try a different card or call our call centre on +44 (0)844 571 5148.
- When do I have to check-in?
Your check in time will be detailed in your email confirmation but generally we would suggest all travellers to check in a minimum of 60 - 90 minutes before departure if travelling with a vehicle. Foot passengers should allow 45 minutes before depature. Passengers travelling with a pet must be checked in at least 60 minutes before departure. Check in for long sea crossings can require a check in of 2 hours prior to departure.
- What documents do I need to take aboard with me?
- Relevant passports or photographic ID for all passengers
- Non British Citizens may need a valid visa. To enquire further you can visit www.ukpa.gov.uk for passport visa advice.
- Full valid driving license
- Vehicle registration document
- Current vehicle insurance certificate
- GB sticker
- We strongly advise you take out suitable Travel insurance & apply for your Free European Health Insurance card (new style E111 available from www.ehic.org.uk)
- Can I book a foot passenger crossing with you?
Yes, we now offer foot passenger prices on our website. You must choose "Foot passenger(s)" instead of car on the booking form. Please note not all operators accept foot passengers.
- I am not sure of the dimensions of my vehicle. How can I book?
The dimensions of your vehicle can typically be found in your vehicle handbook, or search on your vehicle manufacturer's website. If you do not state the correct details we are not liable for any costs incurred.
- Can I travel in my van?
Currently only non-commercial, vans (height less than 1.8m) can be booked over the Internet and only if 'Van' can be selected from the drop-down box. From here you must choose the correct height and length of your van, failure to do so may result in an additional payment at the port .
- Can a child travel alone on the ferry?
No unaccompanied children under the age of 16 are allowed to travel with any of the ferry operators.
- Can I take an unrelated child with me abroad?
Yes but we would advise you have a letter of consent from their parents or guardian. It is however still up to the discretion of the port authorities to allow travel without written permission so please check with the appropriate port authority prior to travel. We are not liable for any costs if permission is not sought before travel.
- I am pregnant. Can I travel on a Ferry?
Yes, however each operator has their own restrictions as to how many weeks pregnant they will allow you to travel and operators do require a certificate of fitness to travel from your doctor. Failure to produce a certificate may lead to the operator refusing your carriage at the port. Please ensure you obtain the necessary certificate from your doctor prior to departure and take it with you when you travel. Also check your travel insurance documents to see how many weeks, typically no cover will apply within 8 weeks of the estimated date of delivery.
- How can I get a quote to add a trailer?
Choose your route and then on the drop down box for vehicle type just click car & trailer.